Menu

RAMPS Extruder Motor Failure Fixup

  • 26 August 2017
  • Author: Dan Santee
  • Number of views: 191
  • - Comments
RAMPS Extruder Motor Failure Fixup

A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking that I hadn't printed anything in a while, so I'd pull the printer up and start on some models I'd been thinking about. When I started the print, however, I found that my extruder motor was no longer feeding filament for the print.

I put the project away knowing I didn't have time to troubleshoot it then (these things can be fairly complicated to trace out). A friend asked about some fidget spinners, so today, I decided to spend some time getting this going again.

My first step was to test the motor on another axis. It worked, so I knew the motor was still good. Next, I tried replacing the stepper driver - these things get pretty hot, after all - but that also yielded no results. After a few more attempts to get this going, I decided on the nuclear option - I would move the extruder from E0 to E1 and see if that did the trick.

The process is actually fairly simple - move the stepper driver from E0 to E1, and then move the cable for the motor over. The problem was how to get the firmware to recognize E1 as E0, so I didn't have to change all of my prints. The solution is very simple - I use Marlin as my firmware, so I went into the pins_RAMPS.h file and swapped the pins for E0 and E1. This way, Marlin still uses E0 for everything, but all the output goes to E1.

I put everything back together and it works perfectly! Now, back to printing. My new Switch has some accessories I need...

Print
Categories: Uncategorized
blog comments powered by Disqus